BHFS 4-Step Application Process:
Thank you for your interest in the BALKAN HERITAGE FIELD SCHOOL projects! Please read carefully before you consider applying!
You are applying to join a project, which is operating in a culturally diverse country under conditions, which will likely be quite different from those to which you are accustomed to in your home country.
1. Submit Online Application Form and get a confirmation within 48hrs!
This is the only way to apply. After submission of your application form you will receive (in up to 2 working days) an e-mail confirming receipt from our Admission Officer. If you don’t have it in your mailbox, then your application probably didn’t arrive, or the e-mail you specified is either wrong or inaccessible, so you should contact us for clarification. Balkan Heritage will consider your application and let you know about the decision within two weeks. If you are admitted to one or several BHFS projects/project sessions, you will receive by e-mail: 1) the BHFS admission notification (as an e-mail text) and 2) the Balkan Heritage Attendance Agreement as a PDF file.
2. Confirm your participation!
If accepted you should confirm or cancel your participation by e-mail within the period of three weeks following the date, when the Balkan Heritage admission notification was sent..
3. Contract your participation!
In case you confirm your participation in the project you are expected to register within three weeks after your e-mail was sent! Please, consider that in order to register in the project, you will have to:
3.1 Complete the required participant data in the Balkan Heritage Attendance Agreement!
3.2 Print out and sign two copies of the completed document. Then scan it!
3.3 Transfer a deposit of 500 Euros for a two week project or Euros for three or more weeks project(s) via on-line credit/debit card donation, bank or money transfer.
- Bank transfers can be made to the Balkan Heritage bank account (page 6).
- Transfers via Western Union or Money Gram could be accepted, but only if the issue is communicated with the BHFS Admissions Officer in advance!
3.4 If the deposit is made via bank transfer, please scan the bank receipt!
3.5 Send a registered letter to the Balkan Heritage postal address (specified in the bottom of every page of this document), containing the following documents: one of the Agreement’s hard copies filled and signed + a copy of the bank receipt! The date on the postal receipt should not exceed the three-week period following the date, when the e-mail, that the current document is attached to, was sent!
3.6 Send by e-mail scanned copies of: this Attendance Agreement filled and signed by you, the bank receipt and the postal receipt, proving that the hard copies of the documents specified above have been sent to the Balkan Heritage office! The e-mail with the attachments should be sent in the three-week period following the date, when the e-mail that the current document is attached to, was sent!
The participant is considered REGISTERED in the project only if s/he fulfils the activities specified above in the 3-week-period as mentioned above.
If the BHFS Admissions Officer does not receive by e-mail any of the documents requested in the 3-week period, the participant’s application will be automatically cancelled.
4. Arrange your trip!
- Don't forget to apply for your passport now if you do not presently have one! EU citizens don’t need passports, but only ID card to enter Bulgaria and Macedonia! This is not the case, if the EU citizen travels transit across any non-EU member state.
- Please leave a copy of your passport and flight tickets with a family member who knows how to use a fax or email. In case you loose it, note that Embassies are getting rigid about who and why they give new passports to. So, they will ask that a family member send them a copy.
- In case you need visa for Bulgaria/Macedonia (Refer to the List in the bottom!), start the visa issue procedure a.s.a.p. after the receipt of Balkan Heritage admission notification! You will receive an official Balkan Heritage invitation letter as well as the Bulgarian/Macedonian Embassy in Your country will be informed about your purpose of stay.
- Book your flight as early as possible!
- Read carefully the Balkan Heritage info-sheet in order to get prepared for your stay and fieldwork in Southeastern Europe!
Still have a question? Check our FAQ section or directly contact our admissions officer and get a quick reply!