4-Step Application Process:
Thank you for your interest in BALKAN HERITAGE FIELD SCHOOL projects! Please carefully read through the entire process before you apply.
You are applying to join a project, which is operating in a culturally diverse country under conditions which will likely be quite different from those to which you are accustomed to in your home country.
(NB! Students seeking academic credits units for their participation in the BHFS projects included in the BHF-IFR Program for the Balkans must enroll through the Institute for Field Research, USA)
1. Submit the online Application Form and get a confirmation within 48hrs!
This is the only way to apply. After submitting your application, you will receive (within 2 working days) e-mail confirmation from our Admission Officer. If you do not receive confirmation, then your application likely didn’t arrive, or the e-mail you specified is incorrect, contact us for clarification. Balkan Heritage will review your application and reply with a decision within two weeks. If you are admitted to one (or several) BHFS project(s), you will receive by e-mail: 1) the BHFS admission notification (as an e-mail text) and 2) the Balkan Heritage Attendance Agreement as a PDF file.
2. Confirm your participation!
If accepted, you must confirm your participation by e-mail within of three weeks of receiving the admission notification.
To register for your project(s), please::
3.1 Carefully read and complete the required participant data in the Balkan Heritage Attendance Agreement
3.2 Print out and sign two copies of the completed document. Scan a copy.
3.3 Transfer a deposit of 500 Euros for a two week project or 800 Euros for a three or more week project via on-line credit/debit card donation, bank or money transfer.
- Bank transfers can be made to the Balkan Heritage bank account (bank details can be found on page 4 of the Agreement.)
- Transfers via Western Union or Money Gram can be accepted, but only if communicated with the BHFS Admissions Officer in advance!
3.4 If the deposit is made via bank transfer, please scan the bank receipt.
3.5 Send a registered letter to the Balkan Heritage postal address (specified at the bottom of every page of the Agreement), containing the following documents: one copy of the completed and signed Agreement and a copy of the bank receipt. The documents should be mailed within the 3-week period following the admission acceptance date.
3.6 Send by e-mail scanned copies of: the completed and signed Attendance Agreement, the bank receipt and the postal receipt, proving that the hard copies of the documents specified above have been sent to the Balkan Heritage office. The e-mail with the attachments should be sent within the 3-week period following the admission acceptance date.
The participant is considered REGISTERED only if s/he fulfills the activities specified above within the 3-week-period.
If the BHFS Admissions Officer does not receive by e-mail any of the documents requested in the 3-week period, the participant’s application will be automatically cancelled.
4. Plan your trip!
- Confirm that your passport is current and will be for at least 6 months beyond your stay. (If you do not have a passport or it is expired, apply ASAP as the process can take several weeks/months!) EU citizens don’t need passports, but only ID cards to enter Bulgaria, Greece and Macedonia. Passports are required for EU citizen for Montenegro and when travelling across any non-EU member state.
- Please leave a copy of your passport and flight details with a family member or friend. If you lose your passport, the embassy will likely ask for that copy in order to reissue a passport.
- If you require a visa for Bulgaria/Macedonia/Greece/Montenegro (Refer to the list here: https://www.bhfieldschool.org/information/visa-help), start process as soon as you receive the admission notification! You will receive an official Balkan Heritage invitation letter and the Bulgarian/Macedonian/Greek/Montenegro Embassy in your country will be informed about your purpose of stay.
- Book your flight as early as possible!
- Carefully read the Balkan Heritage info-sheet to get prepared for your stay and fieldwork in Southeastern Europe!
Still have questions? Check ourFAQ section or contact our admissions officer for a quick reply!